Search This Blog

Monday, November 30, 2009

Life (and not the TV show)



Life is like an onion: You peel it off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep.- Carl Sandburg

This was written at 1am, on Monday, November 30th.


I just spent a few days on Buenos Aires. I am now leaving this great city, heading north. I'm in one of those double deck buses, really comfortable, sitting on the second floor, front row. A vast windshield & side windows give me this 180 degrees view as we move forward.
The freeway is not busy at this hour, some trying to make it home, some trying to run away from it, some working, some trying to outrun their sorrows, but here we all are, all moving forward. Music is stimulating me through my earphones, and here I sit, write and take it all in.
Every time I look up from writing I see the lanes of the freeway stretching lazily ahead of me, as far as the eye can see, like a long smear of chalk and tar. I see the merging lanes, the carpool ones, the exits, the signs, all there, all ahead of me.
Just like life. Stretching ahead of me, at THIS very moment, I AM this moment, but I move forward. I pick the life lane i want, the speed I want to move at, the exit I want to take. We all do.
I've spent the week with so many beautifully creative people in this past few days. From the heights of Bolivia, the tropical heat of Brasil, the warmly cold Norwegians, from all over. All so different but all the same and all sharing the same light, all so great.
I realize now, looking back, that's what we ALL are, light and creation. We are here to share the light and create, create, create. We are creators. Each day we do it. Whether we are aware of it or not. We are creating, we are doing so with each choice we make, with each word we speak. I work hard, so my creations are not accidental, so they come from the light and are born to be bright.
Remember, with me each day: I am light. I am power to create.

1 comment: