Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2009

All the time and money in the world.



How do I know what's my vocation in life?
If you had all the time and money in the world, what would you do? That's it.

Seems today that everything has to do with time and money and I believe to a degree it does. Many times I have said:"if I had the time and the money..." or, "well, it's easy for them/him/her to do that, they have the time and the money." however that it's not true, not in my case.
There are lots of things I care about, lots of issues, lots of causes and until recently I thought, well, i thought I cannot possibly make the difference. But I have realized that time and money are not what's stopping me from doing something about those things that matter to me.
We can all make a difference, if anything in our own lives and those surrounding us.
We are living in a beautiful world, full of treasures for US. (as in "all of us", not just those born in the U.S.) I am not here to preach, not the purpose of this blog. I just like to write down those thoughts that might be gone in a few years.
I was looking at the window today, smooth breeze, green trees, birds flying, clouds...and it's all mine. That's what I am talking about, my, our treasures. Add to that our families and friends and I know I am one lucky bastard.
At some point it dawn on me that unless I care for my surroundings the same way I care for my relationships, then I am in an abusive relationship. If I treat mother earth like someone that just gives, gives and gives without ever receiving any care or consideration from me, yes then I am the abuser on the relationship. And that just doesn't sit well with me.
Do I have all the time and money in the world to save the environment? Don't think so. But I don't need it.
If you think of our environment, the same way you think of a relationship with a loved one, well, you wouldn't treat it the way you do, neither will I, money or not. I can and will stop buying bottled water, but buy one permanent water bottle. I will grow greens every time I have a patch of land and if not visit my local farmer's market and support them. I will continue walking, taking public transportation, car-pooling, taking commercial flights (no more private jets for me, ha!)

I AM GOING TO SWEEP MOTHER EARTH FROM HER FEET. And like it happens with any other devoted lover, she will love me back as she has even when I haven't been so kind to her. By being better to her, I will be healthier, I will feel better.
I invite you to think about it, domestic violence? none of us stands for it. Well, isn't domestic violence to mistreat the home (Earth) we live in?
We don't need money and time, we need more awareness, a strong will and the answer to everything: loads of LOVE, to Pacha Mama, to ourselves.
Let's do this.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny because there are so many things I would love to do if I had the time or money...it's true I do advocacy work, letter writing campaigns, raise awareness, volunteer all in my free time. However, there is much more I would like to do yet can't. There is only so much that one can do without the resources they need. On the positive side though I do everything I can with the resources I have and try to further my education to increase my resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang. I am a bum. I would lounge on beaches all over the world and read until I could no longer see.
    I guess I might help someone sometimes...wow.

    ReplyDelete