Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2009

Crying won't help you now....

So it says the lyrics of my all time favourite singer ever: Ben Harper.  As a rule I will not argue with him, the man knows his sh*t.  Now the song playing says:" what more than sorry can I say? what more than sorry can I be?"
Sometimes simple things like songs can teach you so much.  I've always been musically inclined, by that I mean: inclined to listen to music.  I've tried to sing to every one's bleeding ears, then tried to learn to play the guitar, and still haven't given up that one.  I was told that mostly, those that speak more than one language (4 here) are in general good at carrying tunes, since your ear/voice is used to pick up on sounds/intonations and mimic them.  So much for that.  My best singing is done in the shower or karaoking Macy Gray's "I try" after an Irish Car Bomb chased by a stein of beer.  Even then, it's painful at best.
However, I still sing.  All the time.  It gives me pleasure.  So many times we do or stop doing things for others.  We need to remember more often to do things for ourselves, because it makes US happy, because we CAN.
I am the "fool" that sings and dances, anywhere at the drop of a hat.  Once I remember driving with 3 friends to Vegas when we got stuck (in the desert in the middle of the summer mind you) in the freeway due to an accident.  After the first 30 minutes baking in the car and once the realization set in that we were in there for a long haul, the moods were like Smeagel's once he realize the precious was not going to be his.  So I turned the radio really loud, got out of the car and started dancing on the side of it, yes, in the freeway.  Of course people looked at me as if I was a mental case.  Well guess what, the frowns slowly turned to smiles, car doors open and soon all of my friends and some neighboring cars were joining.  As "out of a bad commercial" that sounds, I didn't do it for them.  I did not care what they thought of me.  I did it for me.  And I had fun.
Whatever it is that makes you happy, DO IT.  Crying won't help you now.

2 comments:

  1. Very Cool! I usually sing everywhere and tend 2 dance in my car in traffic it makes me happy and avoids the moodiness of sitting there. So I completely agree!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula passed along the blog and I hope you don't mind if I check in on you!
    I knew we were kindred spirits when it came to music and dancing...Jesse always teases me that I can hear a song once and sing it back to him...I am not quite that good but I can't seem to help myself when the tune is in my head.
    You are so right, may as well sing. I always say I sing so to keep from crying and sometimes the tears come anyway, but I always feel better after the song.
    Love you man!
    Erin (the 4th destiny's child) Deller

    ReplyDelete