Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Lucky

Do you hear me? I am talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean
Under the open sky, oh my, baby, I'm trying

Lucky we are in love in every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home some day

And so I am sailing through the sea
To an island where we'll meet
You'll hear the music fill the air
I'll put a flower in your hair.
                                        Jason Mraz


I am lucky.  I am not sure that's the best word and I am sure people will argue with me whether it's luck, a blessing, etc.  I am not interested in discussing semantics.  However you want to call it, I am thankful for it.
I just spent almost a week with a couple wonderful friends in Buenos Aires.  I have been to Buenos countless times over my stay here in South America, however each time, its a different city, because each time I look at it with different eyes.  My first time (almost 9 months ago!!) I wasn't sure how anything worked.  Even thought I had been on the city on an off growing up it had been ages since I was there and this time I was alone and grown up enough to call the shots.  So, I go there and had a great time.  I wasn't sure what I was doing or where I was going most of the times but felt welcome and happy yet not part of it.  Since then I have been there many times with different friends, alone and each time Buenos has been a kind, lovely host.
I was discussing with my friends this time around how for most of the part (minus a cab incident they had from the airport) each single interaction was so positive, people so welcoming, beautiful, inviting.  From art to shows, to just the allure of the beautiful architecture, it all seduces me each time.
I realized this time that when facing life and new situations without any fear, well, then there is no fear.  I think most of the times we create fear, we might have valid reasons for that or not but the bottom line is that we do not need to "feed" fear. 
When "facing" that gorgeous city and going to every corner we wanted to, with common sense but without fear we were treated to an amazingly safe experience.  I am pretty sure that when people saw foreigners being trusting (not stupid) and enjoying their city and culture, well, tell in turn were trusting, kind and helpful.
This got me thinking that our interactions are really well reflected on how people interact back to us.  People are our mirrors, so to speak.  If you find people distrusting you, being rude, being great, and so forth, chances are they are being a mirror of yourself.
I invite you to walk along with me in life without fear, looking to see in everyone we interact with the best of ourselves.  It will make a big difference, in your life and of course in your travels ;-)
Pablo

No comments:

Post a Comment