Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

And the bus broke down.

So last night, at midnight I took a bus to come to Buenos Aires.  It's one of those comfi, turn seats into beds kinda bus and just a 6 hours ride.  I settled in, started reading my book and put the Ipod on.  Everything was smooth sailing.  Two hours into it, as we are crossing the bridge between Uruguay and Argentina, right in the middle of the bridge, something felt wrong, the bus started shaking and the lights were on an off.  Boy was I glad I was in bus and not a plane......until the bus just died, inches away from the railing of the bridge.  In the middle of the night, looking down a window, and seeing 40 feet of water below is not a very comforting feeling.  People were moving around.  I turn the music louder, fastened my seat belt and tried to get into the book.  After a few more shaking episodes the bus started again and we continued on.  Until we got to a toll booth and then the bus died again.  By now we were about 2 hours away from Buenos.  The driver got it started and by 5:50ish we were taking the exit of the freeway because we were probably going at 5 miles an hour.  As we take the exit the bus proceeds to completely stop, in the middle of a busy intersection.  There were for ..oh about 30 minutes getting all kinds of honking, and wonderful things being said at the driver, the passengers...you get the idea.  Finally the bus was moved to a side road where we came down, and waited for a replacement bus to arrive.  As we waited, I stroke up a conversation with a fellow passenger and man, was I glad I did.  I thought she was returning to Buenos Aires which is in fact true, except she is not from there.  She told me she recently moved after marrying a few months ago.  Her husband is from the town where she grew up in Uruguay, they were high school sweet hearts, then when she was 17 and he was 18 they split, he moved to Buenos Aires, she married, so did he.  After being married for 31 years her husband died, her former boyfriend got a divorce, one day he returns to the home town , visits her...fast forward, they married a few months back.
After we finally arrived to the bus station, he was waiting for her, I got to meet him and I am invited to have lunch with them this Sunday so they can show me a part of Buenos Aires I don't know, a few flea markets and some good restaurants were I won't be ripped off.
Sometimes a bus breaking down is life telling you:" look around, chat, I have a surprise for you."
Let's make sure we turn

No comments:

Post a Comment