Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Every time we love, every time we give, it's Christmas. Dale Evans

It's a few days before Christmas.  I am not going to get into it, talk about what it should mean, be like, what do we all celebrate and what we are not getting right.  I am no one to tell you how to celebrate and what Christmas should mean to you.
However I will celebrate with you and share with you what it is for me.  Over the years it has changed a lot.  As a kid it was going to granpa's house, playing with all the cousins, then a big dinner as we all waited for the clock to strike midnight.  Then we would all kiss eachother on the cheeks, family, friends, neighbors would come from near by and we would wish all the best to each other.  Then we would sit and have dinner, cheer, and us kids, we would go out on the sidewalk and light sparklers and laugh and watch fireworks.  This is one of my first memories of Christmas in South America as a kid.  Coming from a Christian family without any ties to any religion, I am sure Jesus was mentioned here and there but to me it was all about the fireworks, the cousins and of course the dancing.  After everyone was done with dinner the tables would be cleared, music would be playing and we would all dance.  The older cousins would head to clubs, us "the kids" would stay and dance with the uncles and aunts as well as the grandparents.

Then in the States I remember my first white Christmas, amazed at the snow and the freezing cold.  I truly experienced the "quiet night", no fireworks, no people coming to greet each other, but everyone sleeping early to wake up early to see what Santa brought.  Waking up to see all white, in my jammies with the siblings, next to the fireplace. Big breakfast, lazy day fulL of family love and then the visits and again a big dinner.
Then I realized that besides the weather/scenario change, it was the same: family, friends, love.
Ever since Christmas is to me the same as love, family and friends.
As times goes by I also realize that there are others that lack that.  How is that? My Christmas has become a challenge to be extra kind, to share more love, to the ones I know and the friends to meet.  A smile is the best gift.
The realization that if I carry this love all year long, Christmas does not have to end.  I have made it my purpose to give each Christmas things that I cannot buy: a hug, a heart felt letter, a smile, and one of my personal favorite traditions, to take something I own and love and give it to someone I love.  The act of giving of whats meaningful to me truly teaches me to be generous and not selfish.
I invite you, look for something you own and love, look for someone that would love to have that, and lovingly make their Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures. It is true that the spirit of Christmas doesn't have to end if you give of urself and send love to all. Christmas here is pretty much the same as yours, all of the family comes down, we spend time together and cook a huge meal. Everyone makes their specialty dishes and brings them. I bake cookies for all of the neighbors and make small items for ppl in the nursing home. It is one of the few times of year the whole family is together. ;0) Over the years I have made hand made gifts for ppl such as a box filled with memories we have shared, special moments and notes of love so when they have a bad day they can read it and smile. In my family we only buy gifts for the children. The only time the older children and adults give presents is if they find something they know the other will need and love.

    ReplyDelete