Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2011

THE POWER OF THE WORD ( & our irresponsibility)

Pheeewww! what a day. A sad one. By now we are all aware of what happened in Tucson, Arizona, of the shooting, the deaths, the tragedy, and those fighting for their life, including Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Its not something I can personally come to terms with in any level.  I am also resigned to the fact that I might never know,  I will never know what happened. Not for a conspiracy theory, but a much simpler fact, I will never be able to know what was in the shooters head, why or anything of the like.  To me it´s another senseless act of violence, one that like many others should not happen.
As everyone else I am also aware of the political background and how this tragedy IS being used for the benefit of some and the detriment of others.
I was very vocal on twitter about my indignation about what was on Sarah Palin´s website as pretty much a political hit list. It was taken down from her website but you can se a screenshot here .  I was vocal about my indignation.  Some people took it as me tainting a tragedy with political undertones.  Couldn´t be further from the truth.
Do I think Sarah Palin has anything to do with this shotting? NO. Do I think by her having a "political hit list" she encouraged violence? I don´t know. Do I think she is absolutely irresponsible with her words and sometimes actions? YES.
First of all let me assure you this has nothing to do with politics. To me the issue is people in the public eye, with a voice heard by millions, she is a politician, she could be an actress for all I care. My problem is that none of us understand, realize or respect the sanctity of the word. With our words we can create or destroy, you do it, I do it, everyday. I tell you "you look good today" or "you look like shit" and there´s a consequence to that. Our words are magic, we choose to use them as white or black magic.
So what really drives me crazy is that people in general, and specifically people that are public are so careless with their words and what effect they might have. No, Sarah Palin has no doing on this, but I personally think she is accountable for the message she is spewing. Personally I don´t  think is clever, funny, creative to have a political "hit list." Im semi sane. Did she (or any of her advisors) stop to think what a disturbed, mentally unhealthy person would make of that? They probably did after the fact, hence taking the post down.
My frustration is not political, is a frustration from the pit of my stomach that us, as "evolved" beings DO NOT take responsibility for our actions, let alone our WORDS and the implications of that.
So, yes, I am pissed when I look at this picture:


To me it says "I am not aware of the power I have over people. I am not aware that what I say might be misconstrued. I did not stop and think what the implications of the way I CHOOSE to use my words might have. I don´t care."
You have your opinions and beliefs and I respect them. I expect the same from you. And yes, I have thought and chosen my words as carefully as I can.
P.

No comments:

Post a Comment