Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2010

Wave your flag

Start listening HERE first.
Here's the thing, the World Cup is upon us and I am so exited.  I cannot say i am me without saying that there's this passion, this part of me that goes crazy over World Cups.  Its not like the Super Bowl, I get crazy over that too, but this is different.  It happens every 4 years, it involves pretty much the whole world and it is part of my identity.  I remember growing up and even though I was not a soccer fan, I remember it being a part of my life.  I remember days of school because our team was playing.  I remember parades, I remember the "hand of God" controversy with Maradona.
So here I am, years later, being a sports freak, loving soccer. I love it not just because of the game itself.  I love that most of the world will sit still during games and we will turn our eyes and hearts to a field and 90 minutes to be crowned the new World Cup Champion.
From Gianna Nanini in Italy here to Ricky Martin in France hereand now Shakira in South Africa, here each song of the world cup has given us passion, power, love in a language we all understand, the language of rhythm. If only us, as a species could get that rhythm, could understand that the same way we can peacefully play games across the world, deciding on the field who we are, we could solve most problems.... We are those kids playing with a ball, maybe not understanding each other, maybe not fully aware of the game but being driven by the passion inside.  If world matters were to be discussed and treated with the same passion, there would be no wars, there would be a game, and flags and passion.  So this world cup I will be waiving my flag and its not one of a country, its a flag of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment